Sunday, November 18, 2018

Not-so Fantastic? Review of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Movie - Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

As a Potterhead, I was ecstatic when I found out the Fantastic Beast, a series within the Harry Potter universe, was to contain five parts. Five more movies within the Harry Potter world? Count me in!

The first movie, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, was beautiful. The story of the awkward, but cute Newt Scamander letting his fantastic beasts lose in the early twentieth century hit all Harry Potter nostalgia factors and introduced audience to a whole other part of the wizarding world of Harry Potter. The intricate, yet strangely realistic magical creatures that Mr. Scamander let loose in NYC were incredibly fascinating, and the creator’s creativity was evidently unbound. Not only did the creatures satisfy my craving for more wizard-related things, but also the portrayal of the wizarding world in the United States made me fully recognize that the wizarding world was not limited to the Europe and there is a whole other continents that have wizard history. Exciting - more content to learn about in the wizarding world!

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, was a bit different. I would first like to say that yes, it still hit all the nostalgic sweet spots and just looking at the depiction of the wizarding world made me excited. However, the story itself felt a bit intermittent; many of the stories felt like a set-up for bigger stories to come. It is almost as though the J.K. Rowling took the Fantastic Beasts Saga and sliced it into 5 arbitrary pieces, contrary to Harry Potter where there was an overarching story within the series but smaller, yet substantial stories within each book and movie. Though some of the  dramatic and unsuspecting events convinced me to watch future movies, this movie just felt as though the movie makers needed a medium to introduce characters who may or may not be important in future movies. Nothing was really solved in this film, and the movie just left us off at the “rising climax” of the story.

Despite my not-so-positive commentary, I would still recommend the movie for Potterheads. For me, anything more I can learn about the Harry Potter world is enough. Additionally, Eddie Redmayne embodied the spirit of Newt Scamander so well that when I reference Eddie Redmayne, I write Newt Scamander by accident. 

Overall rating: 6/10.

Let me know your thoughts of the film and Harry Potter in general in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

A True Spectacular: The Rockettes

The first time I saw the Christmas Spectacular, my mom and I were 1 hour late, and I did not remember a thing. For a numbe...